  • Subject: RE: VB & ADO don't seem to handle numeric fields
  • From: "John Taylor" <john.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 07:10:48 -0700

Hi Peter,

The error message that you're getting typically occurs when the field name
that you've specified doesn't exist in the recordset. I had a problem a
couple of months ago with the SQL host server not passing back a field name
to the ADO driver. I opened an APAR and the problem was resolved via PTF. I
don't have the number handy since I'm at home right now.

You can do a simple test to determine if this is your problem.

Place a breakpoint on the RateAmt line, and set a Watch on AS400rs. Run the
program, then expand AS400rs until you find the "RTAMT" field. Make a note
of the data type & ordinal field position. (Of course, if you can't find the
"RTAMT" field, then you've found the problem.)

Using the debugger window, try the following code:

?RateAmt = AS400rs.Fields(n)

where "n" is the ordinal position.

If you can access the data via ordinal position, then double check your
spelling. Let us know what you find.

Regards,

John Taylor
Canda