  • Subject: Re: ADSM
  • From: Quazy <quazy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:41:23 -0500

Yes, Don't do it!
We looked real hard into this a couple of months ago.

The performance is really bad.

A model 170 (2388) backing up to ADSM on a NT box can only do a little bit
more than 11GB a hour on a 100Mb network, Also the smaller the box the
worse the performance with ADSM. compared to native BRMS at around 40 to
60GB at V4R4 and a even faster rate at V4R5 (I cant find the numbers on this)

I was told from Rochester that a save from a NT ADSM server to a AS400
client would have 80% the performance of a save file save.

If you are already using BRMS there is no need to complicate things by
adding another layer.  You cant do a restricted state save using ADSM,
among other things.

ADSM works ok as a server on the AS/400 to backup other boxes, but not very
well as a client.

If you need more info let me know.

Check these links out for more info

http://www.as400.ibm.com/service/brms/adsmperf.htm