  • Subject: Re: CISC to RISC xfer of lic pgm product
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:24:32 -0400

Doug,

  Here goes:

<snip>

>  - Can they just pay a V3 to V4 upgrade fee on the necessary licensed
> programs, then start up software subscription?

   Yes they can do that.

>  - Does the concurrency fee apply to a V3R2 to V4 upgrade, or is that
> just for a V4 customer who opted not to be on software subscription
> then later wants an update?

   Nope. Currency access applies only to systems At V4 w/out SS who want
to upgrade to futher V4 releases.

> What is "GCL" and what
> benefit is there later to have paid these charges now (roughly double
> the P05 charges) if software subscription has been billed at P05
> prices?  Could they then later move to a P10 box without paying the
> P05 to P10 upgrade?  Would only software subscription go up later?

  Can't remember what GCL is but translate it to Software Tier.  Yes if
you pay the P10 charge then later upgrade to a P10 box, there is no
charge.  This is cheaper than going down to P05 and back up to P10.
(Kinda like biking riding flat rather than down a big hill and then back
up!)  There is actually a small savings going P10 down to P10 during a
V3 to V4 upgrade but not much.  The P05 to P10 charge later is much
more!

>  - The current box has a CPW rating of around 16.  Using the web's
> workload estimator, I'm coming up with recommendations of machines in
> the 25-20 CPW range for interactive load.  What's the best way to make
> sure this is adequate to avoid the infamous CFINT govenor?

  Buy an 840?? Actually on the 270 or 8xx boxes the CFINT govornor no
longer sucks the life from your box when you hit Imax.  Also I would run
the performance tools and see what that comes up with as well.

  HTH - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         |
Arbor Solutions, Inc  |  IBM AS/400e - Get There First!