  • Subject: Re: Programmer DFU access
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:11:02 EDT

> From: booth@martinvt.com
>
>  Was the auditor's concern that the data could be changed with DFU, or was
>  their concern that the data could be changed without a record of the
>  change's time, user, or data?

We use DFU & other tools to fix problems with our ERP that do not rise to the
level of needing a program to deal with this particular scenario.  If I was
auditing ourselves, my point would not be what tools we use to update our
data, but rather the notion that there ought to be some kind of consistent
audit trail on what got changed & why it got changed, and whether our
security permits people in department-A to be changing data that is under the
management of department-B without dept-B being any the wiser.

Many programs create some kind of before / after picture of data entry ... we
rarely print these reports ... we rarely store them any place.  The audit
trail is created but goes no where by the choice of the users of the
software, because corporate policy is that each department is responsible for
the veracity of their data & how they choose to achieve that accuracy is up
to them.

There may be a security issue of who is making the changes, and who is able
to make what changes - I as programmer am only changing data in the system
when specifically requested to by some department in charge of it.
Occasionally, during testing of software mods, I temporarily create some data
in a live environment ... I always notify the departments involved about what
is going on.

We have reason codes in BPCS for WHY an inventory adjustment is made ... the
screen defaults to "CC" which is Cycle Count Adjustment & none of the other
reasons show up in the history except when I was making an adjustment a few
weeks ago to fix a suspected human-bug & was checking what reasons other
people using to see what was most appropriate - I did not use CC ... then I
looked at the EOM reports ... no one is running any report to see what reason
codes are in use.

I would have thought we ought to have a monthly report with a count of how
many of which kinds of abnormal transactions are being made by which users.
I should think that adjustments should be dominated by certain individuals.
If we are not monitoring the audit trails of the official software, then
there should be no grievance by some outside audit that we do some changes
that do not generate an audit trail.  The only grievance is internal people
who find something is wrong & want to access whatever history exists to
figure out why that data is wrong.

At one time I suggested that we add a comment capability to the history files
... so that if someone makes a DFU adjustment to some file, then they would
have an obligation to insert a note about what they did & why to either the
notes on that order or a comment line to that item history, coded to not show
up on standard documents like to customers, but using a unique transaction
code so that all such notes could end up on one report.  No one seemed to
think we had any such need for any such thing.

We have been having ISO & related audits ... our policies say that we should
do things certain ways ... are we in fact obeying our own policies.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor