From: Ken Burton [mailto:KBURTON@crownbooks.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 7:39 PM
To: 'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'
Subject: RE: /400 skills test

None of the people that I ever interviewed were remotely of the metal
caliber of Einstein. What's right for him is not necessarily
appropriate for
the rest of us. Detailed knowledge is not necessary, but its
absence can be
an indication of the lack of any knowledge. Sure, I can look up the
relationship between SFLNXTCHG and READC, but if I can explain
it to you,
along with, say, the purposes of the subfile control record,
you have a much
better sense of where I am on the AS/400 Knowledge Tree that
you would have
if I responded by telling you which manual I would consult to find the
answers. I was looking for people who can write code. Manual reading is
incidental. So is understanding how to use STRINFSKR!

Ken Burton

Einstein said he