  • Subject: RE: Correlating *SAVF "records" to FTP job I/O count
  • From: "Reger, Bill" <breger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:43:14 -0400

Dan,

The way I usually estimate the time required to send a file is as follows:

1.  Multiply the object size by 8 to get the number is bits being sent.  In
your case:
                59,785,216 * 8 = 478,281,728

2.  Calculate the number of seconds to send by dividing the number of bits
by the connection speed (in bits/second):
                478,281,728 / 50,000 = 9,566 seconds

3.  Calculate the number of hours by dividing the total number of seconds by
the number of seconds in an hour (3600):
                9,566 / 3600 = 2.66 hours   (2 hours 40 minutes)

The variable in this is the connection speed.  I actually determined your
speed at 50,000 bits/second by working backwards and then plugged that into
the example above.  Were you sending this file over a 56KB modem?  There are
a lot of variables in transmitting files as you know, such as noise on the
lines, retries, failures, conflicting traffic, etc.  But for most normal
transmissions, this has always worked fairly well for me.

When using a save file, be sure to compress the data when saving the
objects.  This will help send it as fast as possible.  This might explain
the difference you see in the object size versus the number of records in
your save file.

Bill

William K. Reger
Senior Project Manager