Re: *** ADMIN: IMHO and Survey

  • Subject: Re: *** ADMIN: IMHO and Survey
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:28:07 EDT

fixed

Another recent example is Apple Macintosh ... a great operating system & talk
about user friendly & uptime ... but brain dead marketing, so now M$ rules
the micro computer market place - an inferior product, inferior to OS/2 &
others.

As we look through history of other technology, this not just computers ...

I think external combustion engine had great advantages over internal
combustion engine ... the winners of the marketing competition had some
propaganda about risk of blow up but Stanley Steamer offered some huge prize
money to the heirs of such an event which never happened.

Ditto helium air ships over early helicopters

Lots of great products out there whose marketing failed in competition with
vastly inferior products.

And not just technology.

Theories of Henry George have much value compared to those of Keynesian
Economics but the winnah is which understood by academic world, and Georgist
Economics ends up on scrap heap of history.

>  From:    JFritz@sharperimage.com (Joel Fritz)
>
>  I don't think that being enthusiastic about what the 400 can do is
>  incompatible with being uneasy about its future.  As a former Atari ST
owner
>  (let's have a show of hands from those who never want to see the word
>  "Atari" again) I'm real familiar with this situation.

Al Macintyre
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
+---