  • Subject: RE: The "greying of Common" Is it still true?
  • From: Randy Dufault <Randy_Dufault@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:21:03 -0500

> <snip>
> Everyone talks about COMMON as if its the only venue for
> training related to
> the AS/400.  Have any of you attended the IBM technical
> conference?  I've
> been around the mid range offerings since the hey days of S/3
> 15D and for my
> money the IBM conference is a much more rewarding experience
> then COMMON.
> Just One Persons Opinion
> Bill Erhardt</snip>

As an active participant in Common for the last 10 years I would like to
point out that Common and the IBM Technical conference are two entirely
different offerings with entirely different purposes. I attended an AS/400
Tech. Conf. last year purely as an attendee, first to attend a conference I
wasn't speaking or volunteering at, and second as an excersize in
determining the difference between the two. I regularly attend a different
IBM Tech. Conf. so I am very familiar with IBM's format and execution.

The Tech. Conf. is a great place to get a limited amount of education tied
closely to the company line. The information is good, the speakers are first
rate and the pace is relaxed. Personal networking opportunities seemed to be
limited and the expo was pretty much a waste of time.

On the other hand, Common provides huge opportunities for education beyond
the company line. Maybe some of the speakers are not as polished or
experienced but they are real people doing real work in the real world
trying to share what they know for the greater good. In addition to those
offerings many of the same speakers from the Tech. Conf. are there
presenting the same material.

Beyond the education the real benefit to derive from Common and from the
many quality locally sponsered user group conferences, is the ability to
network with the movers and shakers, both inside and outside of IBM. The
people there write the books and magazine articles that are so necessary for
keeping up to date and for developing new and better skills. I can't begin
to measure what the worth of the relationships I've established at Common
over the years has been to my career.

Communities are important in any profession and can't be left to the
involved vendor to develop and maintain.

Cheers,
Randy