  • Subject: Re: Tipton Common Opener - PTF suggestion...
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:24:14 -0500

Agreed.

However, I think Bob's point was that companies like M$, Apple, Sun, and Oracle
have people out in the public eye that are extremely passionate about their
products.  Do some searching on Ellison or McNealy and see what you find.  It's
amazing what coverage these guys are given on all facets of their products and
their companies.  Perhaps Dr. Frank could be that kind of AS/400 person.  I
think he already performs that function within existing AS/400 circles but as we
have all agreed that is preaching to the choir.

I personally think that the people who have responsibility for advertising the
AS/400 (Malcolm Haines and Tom Jarosh) are doing all that they can.  Now before
you say "yeah but" let me explain.  They are doing all they can that is within
their control.  These guys are spending money and hitting some key areas.  They
have done some very interesting things in raising awareness (LotusSphere for
example.  Prior to LS only 30% of the attendees knew that there was a DSD.
Afterwards it was essentially 100%.  Right now we don't know if that has
resulted in increased market share but only time will tell.).  And they are
going to something similar to that at the Supply Chain Conference this week in
Vegas.  Supply Chain is an area that a year ago the AS/400 presence was
essentially nill......now you have I2 (the 900 lb. gorilla in SCM) and IBM
announcing that I2 has ported to the AS/400.....good stuff.

While we may not agree with everything that they are doing (Malcolm, Tom, etc.)
they aren't the enemy in this.  For example, they have no control over what
get's done on TV.  It's Lou, his cohorts, and the image police at IBM.  And you
can write all the Dear Lou letters you want on the IBM web site....Lou will
never see it......it will get intercepted and if it says AS/400 on it then it
will be routed to Tom..................Personally, I'd love the chance to give
the cookie man my 2 cents worth directly and will do as much as I can to see
that done...........

Michael Crump
Ball-Foster Glass Container Co.

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Don          |
|        |          <dr2@cssas400|
|        |          .com>        |
|        |                       |
|        |          03/20/00     |
|        |          08:45 PM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          MIDRANGE-L   |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                       |
  |       To:     midrange-l@midrange.com                 |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mike Crump/IS/Ball-Foster)        |
  |       Subject:     Tipton Common Opener - PTF         |
  |       suggestion...                                   |

I'm reviewing Tipton's opener as I recall it in this 16k cache I call
memory, so pls pardon any parity errors...

I kind of wonder if his mentioning of Frank should be redirected to
someone who's more responsible for the marketing effort (such that it is)
of the product line.  Surely we all know of Frank's successes are area of
expertise, but at last check, "marketing" is someone else's
responsibility.  Should some of the comments for accounting be directed
perhaps at a more culpable party?

Don in DC