"Schenck, Don" wrote:

> Pat --
>
> WHAT?
>
> You lost me.
>
> What do you mean when you say "I think News/400 has lost a lot of it's
> direction...." ????

I explained that my rambling sentences didn't state what I was really
saying. The blurb about IBM is another subject that shouldn't have been
mentioned in the same message about News/400.

News/400's content for the last few years has shifted(IMO) to almost
nothing
but web,internet,java,etc,etc stories. While some have appeal to a great
many,
I don't think the e-thing is the entire 400 story, nor should it be.
News/400
seems to flow along with what IBM announced in the last 90 days and
forget
all the shops who have NO plans to have or want a web site. While
e-business
is very important, a lot of folks are still out there doing that daily
grind
with RPG,CL,etc,etc. In years past News/400 broke some very important
stories
and provided programmers with some really useful stuff. I don't see that
sort
of thing much these days. I don't deny that e-business is the very
trendy thing
of today, but I believe that the vast majority are being bullied into
this
thing with IBM and News/400 leading the way. You are considered less
than a
professional if you aren't working on a web site for your business. The
web
was a joke for doing business just a few years ago, now it's our only
salvation. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I will not
live
in the past, but I will not be shoved into the future until it makes
sense.

Sorry about the excessive rambling.....