I think this is an interesting question.  I agree that a GUI is NOT the best
interface for all situations, but when a GUI is required, I think the web
browser is the perfect universal client.  Booth has made some great comments
in the past about the maint. worries and other various assorted problems
rolling out client server apps.  I'm not saying it can not be done, but it
seems like with all the pieces and parts and drivers and incompatible parts,
it is a hassle.  I work primarily in EDI and use the Harbinger (Premenos)
translator.  Recently they have released their GUI version of the software.
I can not tell you how much time I have pissed away trying to get the GUI
mapper to work.  While Harbinger's tech support is usually very good (at
least in my experience), all I got was finger pointing to PTF, the ODBC
driver, etc.  Very frustrating.... I finally begged Harbinger to ship me the
previous version.... my client was not pleased to be spending time paying
for a consultant to debug the incompatibility problems.
On the other hand, my experiences with Browser based GUIs has been very
good.  Nothing to load, just about everyone has a browser on the desktop and
most people know how to use the browser.  The browser based HTTP server
configurator on the AS400 is to me an excellent example of how we can have a
standard GUI interface with little hassle.
IMHO.
CJG

Carl Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
540 Powder Springs Street
Suite C19
Marietta, GA  30064
770-422-2995
mailto: cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
EDI, Communications and AS400 Technical Consulting