  • Subject: Re: Uninstall Client Access w/o Add/Remove Programs
  • From: Pete Hall <pbhall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 12:38:12 -0600

At 20:54 01/07/2000 , Debbie Gallagher wrote:
>It is Client Access V3R2M0 for 95/NT. Installed on NT. The manual says to
>uninstall, go to Start Menu/Settings/Control Panel/AddRemove Programs. Which
>I tried to do. But because I messed up the install, Client Access doesn't
>appear as a program in the list available to be removed. In addition, trying
>to install Client Access over top of itself isn't working either.

Debbie,

If you made a set of emergency recovery diskettes immediately before
installing CA, you can use them to restore the registry to its previous
configuration.

Otherwise, all is not lost, but first, a warning: Be VERY careful in the
registry. It's not rocket science, but it is tedious and time consuming,
and if you mess up here, you could end up scratch installing everything.
Before you start, log on with administrator privileges, update your
emergency recovery disk (assuming that you DIDN'T do this before starting
the CA install), and make sure you won't lose anything important if you
need to reload NT. The following is from memory, so if you notice a minor
discrepancy, rely on your eyes. I've done this many times, and it's pretty
close.

Run REGEDIT, and remove the CA registry keys. They are in
HKEY_USERS\<user>\SOFTWARE\IBM\Client Access and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Client Access. Then scan through the entire
registry looking for IBM (make sure the "match whole string only" check box
is UNCHECKED). This will locate all of the registered executable modules.
When you find one, delete the entire subkey. Careful though, there are some
keys that describe standard PC attributes and are actually part of Windows,
not CA. Examples of these are IBM852 and IBM866 (character sets - there may
be several more) and some of the entries in the HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum
subkey, which describe devices. Of course, if you have any other IBM PC
software installed (like visual age), you need to watch out for these too.

Once you have done this, delete the "C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access"
folder and reboot, keeping your fingers crossed that you didn't cut too
deep during the registry surgery.

Log on again with administrator privileges. If everything seems to be
working OK, make a set of recovery diskettes, and reinstall CA. Don't
forget the service pack. You needn't reboot between the CA and service pack
installs, but do so before attempting to configure CA.

You probably get the impression that the NT recovery diskettes can save you
a lot of work if you keep them relatively current. They can.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Pete
Pete Hall
pbhall@execpc.com