  • Subject: Re: [Y2K-Rollover-Watch] Air Traffic Problems in North East USA- UNK if Y2K related
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 22:00:36 -0500

>Thats strange the an FAA Air Trafffic Control Bug occurred in the North east NYC area earlier this week. It caused several >hours of outage and grounded aircraft. It too remains unexplainable
< bigger>
To the tenet "The absence of bugs does not prove the non-existance of bugs," I'd like to be credited for adding, "The existance of a bug does not prove the Y2K boogie man was here."

Every non-analog problem, every non-analog glitch, every non-analog hiccup from now until 2431 (which will be Dick Clark's last year to host New Year's Eve festivities--he'll be the last living person to remember that Y2K was a big deal) will be assigned the mysterious air of being Y2K-related. The reality, of course, is that computers didn't work well before Y2K, why should we expect them to after Y2K? (And if you insist the AS/400 did, come to my shop and explain the run-away disk eater that crashed my Model 170 two months ago!).

Take it to the bank, sometime this year Amy Grant will die in a horrible plane crash. The cause of the tragedy will forever be debated to be either a God-fearing cult conspiracy that took her out with a briefcase bomb or simply an undetected Y2K air traffic controller bug. Oliver Stone will later buy the option to the story and make a movie more critically acclaimed than Saving Private Ryan.

Before long, we're all gonna be so tired of BIOY2K (Blame It On Y2K ) that we'll be changing 8 digit dates back to 6 just to distract ourselves.

rp