  • Subject: Re: text equation
  • From: "L. S. Russell" <leslier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:02:10 -0600

> Years ago (10 or so) I would of said, yes, Perl was a high level
> language, but I think with the advent of improved technology
> that a shift has occurred, and it is more of a mid level language.

What improved technology? You mean OOP? Well perl does OOP.
Are you talking about inheritance? Perl does inheritance.
It is high level languages like perl, python, tcl/tk (and to some small extent
shell
languages) which are the driving force of the internet.

If you mean that you expect a high level language to write the code for you,
perl,
python, tcl do that also, to a degree. For example the split() function in
perl; takes
as arguments, a string, and a delimeter and returns a list (array) of all the
items in
the string.
$test_str = 'mike:bob:bill:jim';
@test_ary = split($test_str, /\:/);
Just think how much code you would need to write in RPG, or the all powerful c
just to
beable to do this same thing.

Or do you mean that a high level language is one that catches your errors and
corrects
them, well using the -w option perl can even help there.

> I do agree, however, that my concept of a "high level language"
> is probably not what the rest of the computer community thinks
> of, so I should of probably said it was not a higher level language?
>
> Or perhaps it is just that I do not understand Perl enough to
> know of it's capabilities.

Perhaps you should do a little research.

> To me, the higher level the language the more machine code is
> produced for each line of source.  Optimized machine code too.

Yes, thats exactly what perl, python, basic, .... blah blah blah, do fo you.
They
provide the menial code so us programmers can play quake.

--
L. S. Russell Programmer/Analyst
Datrek Professional Bags, Inc.