  • Subject: RE: New AS/400 - Now What?
  • From: "Gallagher, Debbie" <dgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:06:00 -0500

Pat:

"Somebody sent you a AS/400 and said "good luck" ???"   Well, it kinda feels
that way . . .

I was afraid someone would ask all these embarrassing questions! I work for
big consulting firm, and one of the things we do is JDEdwards implementation
work. We also have a lab. The lab is available to clients who are
implementing
packages such as PeopleSoft, GreatPlains, JDE, so they can put their team
and
our consultants in one place away from the client office.

Because we do the installation of the application software for the clients,
we
also have a couple of servers for practicing installs (instead of practicing
on
the clients). We just recently got an AS/400, our first in this lab. We
intend
to use it for practicing JDE installs. No one here has a clue about AS/400,
including the guy who is responsible for setting it up. In addition, he is
away
in another city doing client work. I am available for a few weeks, and I
know
how to spell AS/400 (the others can't remember whether it is a slash or dash
. .
.), so I get the job...

Actually, I am quite excited about the chance to do this. I have worked on
AS/400 before, doing mainly data centre support such as nagging programmers
who
hog DASD. However, I have never been involved in the set up stage before, so
it
looks like fun to me. It will also be great experience.

Delighted with the number of tips I have received from this list already - I
plan to read them all and the manuals they refer to, and come up with a plan
of
attack before I start keying stuff in. Also started looking at the EZ-Setup
CD
that came with the machine and it looks helpful.

I need to put together complete documentation on what I'm doing, so we can
use
it as a reference. This will slow me down but it is very important at the
lab,
as the next person to do some problem solving here at the lab may not be me.
As
consultants, we could be in the lab, or on client site.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Debbie Gallagher
dgallagher@deloitte.ca