  • Subject: Re: CGI (Need Input) -Thanks To All
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 00:09:37 -0800

For answers to some of the finer points on javascript, including
samples, you may want to check out http://www.javascript.com or
http://www.htmlgoodies.com and http://www.javascripts.com

At http://javascript.internet.com/forms/val-ssn.html
was this code to validate a Social Security number:

<!-- TWO STEPS TO INSTALL VALIDATION (SSN):

  1.  Copy the coding into the HEAD of your HTML document
  2.  Add the last code into the BODY of your HTML document  -->

<!-- STEP ONE: Paste this code into the HEAD of your HTML document  -->

<HEAD>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- Original:  Carol Gevers -->

<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->
<!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->

<!-- Begin
function SSNValidation(ssn) {
if (ssn.length != 9) {
alert("Error! A Social Insurance Number must contain exactly 9 digits,
please try again.");
return false;
}
else
{
var num1 = ssn.charAt(0);
var num2 = ssn.charAt(1);
var num3 = ssn.charAt(2);
var num4 = ssn.charAt(3);
var num5 = ssn.charAt(4);
var num6 = ssn.charAt(5);
var num7 = ssn.charAt(6);
var num8 = ssn.charAt(7);
var num9 = ssn.charAt(8);

var step1 = 2 * (num2 + num4 + num6 + num8);
var step2 = 0;
var tempNum = Math.floor(step1 / 10000);
step2 += tempNum;
step1 -= (tempNum * 10000);
tempNum = Math.floor(step1 / 1000);
step2 += tempNum;
step1 -= (tempNum * 1000);
tempNum = Math.floor(step1 / 100);
step2 += tempNum;
step1 -= (tempNum * 100);
tempNum = Math.floor(step1 / 10);
step2 += tempNum;
step1 -= (tempNum * 10);
tempNum = Math.floor(step1 / 1)
step2 += tempNum;
var step3 = num1 + num3 + num5 + num7;
tempNum = Math.floor(step3 / 1000);
step2 += tempNum;
step3 -= (tempNum * 1000);
tempNum = Math.floor(step3 / 100);
step2 += tempNum;
step3 -= (tempNum * 100);
tempNum = Math.floor(step3 / 10);
step2 += tempNum;
step3 -= (tempNum * 10);
tempNum = Math.floor(step3 / 1)
step2 += tempNum;

tempNum = Math.floor(step2 / 10);
valid = 10 - (step2 - (tempNum * 10));
var num = num1 + num2 + num3 + "-" + num4 + num5 + "-" + num6 + num7 +
num8 + num9;
if (valid == 10)
valid -= 10;

if (valid == num9) msg = "is a valid";
else msg = "is not a valid";

alert(num + "\r\n\r\n" + msg + " Social Security Number.");
   }
}
//  End -->
</script>
</HEAD>

<!-- STEP TWO: Copy this code into the BODY of your HTML document  -->

<BODY>

<center>
<form>
<tt>
SS #:  <input type=text name=ssn size=9 maxlength=9> (no dashes!)
</tt>
<input type=button value="Validate Number"
onClick="SSNValidation(this.form.ssn.value);">
</form>
</center>

by <a href="http://javascriptsource.com">The JavaScript
Source</a></font>