  • Subject: Re: Proportion of programming languages on AS400
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:51:36 -0800

nina,

Now I'm not picking on you, it's just your post that I hit the 'reply'
button on.

Way back, when the Earth's crust was still cooling, I was taught the
80/20 rule.

There are three parts to this rule:

1) It's a rule, not the law.
2) Don't be so anal retentive to quibble over 79/21. It's a rule, not a
law.
3) Just about any lop sided situation fits the rule. It's a rule, not a
law.

The AS400 is 80/20, RPG/other.

Go ahead, quibble. (be #2, double dare ya' <VBG>)

By that I mean that the percentages are so minor that there is no true
purpose in splitting hairs.  Or being "right".  If it turns out that the
statistical "truth" is 77/23 what have you proven?

You actually spent the time/cost to count hairs?  That's nice. Gee, you
took it out to 3 decimal positions to show the accuracy of your study.
Good for you.

The rule stands. 80/20 RPG.

Will it change? Personally I don't think so.  Not so long as it's a S/3x
"follow-on" product.

Now if the powers to be should happen to rename it, all bets are off.
But they have to start at the bottom to regain 30 years momentum.  Maybe
that explains the JAVA, XTML, Linux radio ads that have been popping up
every hour on the radio station I listen to.