  • Subject: RE: Release License API Ethics
  • From: "Bob Randall" <BLR@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:54:00 -0600

Bob (and others),

Thanks again for all the replies. I put this topic out originally because I
was concerned about the moral side of what I was attempting. I believe I was
being legal. Regardless, I was unable to easily accomplish my goal,
releasing licenses not in use, so the matter is closed. I talked to my
vendor about this topic several times before and since starting this thread,
and plan to talk to them even more.

I realize just because I disagree with a practice does not give me freedom
to violate legal and moral obligations. I do not usually consider what will
happen if if they find out, rather, I consider is it legal, moral, and
"right". I use "right" to be sure I am living up to my personal
standards/convictions and not injuring others. Somewhere I heard, character
is (or should be) measured by what you do and how you act when you are not
being watched (I believe I always am). I assume (I know that may be a
mistake in some cases) people on this list are professional, and should be
acting legally in the communications on this list.

(getting off soapbox now, sorry for the long post <grin>)

Windy Bob