  • Subject: Re: Extract number from character field(Perl syntax) (wayy off topic)
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 13:11:53 -0800

APL, ahh, what a cryptic language.  I would write a small program (one
line) then go back to it a week later and not know what it did.  Would have
to go through it character by character to figure out what I did.

It was a very powerful language, but very hard to modify and maintain.

Which is probably why it is not a mainstream language.

That is about the same issue I have with Perl.  And although Perl is extremely
powerful in parsing, I don't feel it is ever going to make it really big. And
even though the argument can be brought up that it is already "big", I don't
think it's going to get much bigger.

Regards,

Jim Langston