  • Subject: Re: Extract number from character field(Perl syntax)
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 15:01:16 -0500

Joel,

Joel said:
>No offense, Hans, but what does this say about the "typical Perl
>programmer?"

It says that the typical Perl programmer has a different background
than the typical RPG programmer.  Most RPG programmers have no idea
what a "regular expression" is, and why they so useful.

But show a Perl programmer a RPG program using the cycle and no calcs,
and they may be equally mystified as to what it does.  Especially if
it uses matching records. <g>  Heck, even RPG programmers seem
mystified by it. <gd&r>

Regular expressions are *very* powerful when it comes to text parsing,
pattern matching, etc.  The example was actually a very simple regular
expression -- you should see some of them.  But what you can
accomplish with one pattern match is nearly unfathomable to an RPG
programmer.

Doug