  • Subject: Re: Thin Clients
  • From: "Luther Ananda Miller" <softtel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:39:51 +0200

I think Thin Clients are on their way in. The market is just beginning to
take them seriously even though they have been talked about for a long time.
Think of big companies that have 1000s of PCs to administer- lots of money
is wasted for many things like users installing non-work related software
that causes problems, etc. Thin clients address this kind of problem-
upgrades are done on the server not the client, the hardware is cheaper to
begin with, and administration costs are much lower. Not to mention more and
more applications are becoming available for thin clients. Java is becoming
the preferred language for programming them too. There are now already a
couple of Office-style packages available (Star Office, and whichever IBM
offers for its thin clients) and the idea of application serving is also
gaining momentum. The change won't happen overnight, but it is definitely
the future. It will also spread over the Internet-- instead of using things
like Hotmail, you will have java applets which are much faster, but you
still keep the emails themselves (the data) on a server somewhere else do
your data is portable and it doesn't matter which computer you use... in a
way, HTML in the browser is sort of the first popular thin client.

Luther