  • Subject: Re: Syncing time on the as/400
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:58:52 -0700

Okay, consider this then.  If you have access to a machine that is on the web,
and on the private network, run some program on that PC that gets the date, then
snatch it from the AS/400.

There is a definite time issue involved, though.  How long does it take you to
get the data from the AS/400 from the PC?

An even better alternative, I had written a program in Delphi that ran on a PC.
It listened to a given port, and forwarded all requests to another port.  So,
think of this, have this PC listen to some port, say 12345, and when it receives
an OPEN request, have it request an OPEN on the internet to some other port.
This gives you a "window" to the internet that is very secure.  No one from the
internet can get to your AS/400 by any means.  But, you can still get to the
Internet from the AS400 on specific ports.  It would, in fact, be a proxy server
for a given port.

Fairly easy to do on the PC side (I did it from Telnet port 25 to Serial  so I
could transfer files from a  McDonnell Douglas Pic Basic system (serial) to a
Linux based Pic system (Telnet).  Worked quite well actually.  We wound up using
that same code to do a number of things.  We then were able to allow dial up to
Telnet or Telnet to the Pic System.  Quite versatile, once all the conversion
was
done in code.

At this company we just have the AS/400, mainly, and a few PCs for other things,
mainly to connect to the internet.

Regards,

Jim Langston