• Subject: AS/400 PPP Connection to ISP
  • From: Gary L Peskin <garyp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 21:05:08 -0700

I have a friend who is trying to connect his AS/400 to an ISP over a
dial up async line using PPP.  He set up a dial out PPP Connection
Profile using  Operations Navigator (this is the ONLY way to do it).

The ISP (MCI/WorldCom) uses dynamic IP address assignment.  This is so
indicated on the TCP/IP tab of the Connection Profile dialog.

However, he cannot connect.  A comm trace reveals that all goes okay,
including Authentication, but the AS/400 won't accept the IP address
proposed by the ISP and keeps issuing an IPCP Config-Request supply one
of the AS/400's own IP address assigned to an ethernet line.

I have more details on this negotiation but I was wondering if anyone
was communicating using PPP to an ISP over a dial out connection?

TIA,
Gary
+---