RE: VARLEN field... what good are they?

fixed

At 08:05 05/17/1999 , Bradley V. Stone wrote:
>I guess my poing was that the IBM documentation states that you can save
>disk space by specifying a field as VARLEN in the DDS.  I found the opposite
>to be true.

Like everything else, your mileage will probably vary. In addition to the
two byte length attribute, don't forget about the implementation overhead.
That data must actually be stored somewhere, and data longer than the
minimum size can't be stored in the fixed length database file record.
Pete Hall
pbhall@execpc.com
http://www.execpc.com/~pbhall
+---