                                From:   Scotty Muir [SMTP:scottymu@penn.com]
                                Sent:   Monday, May 17, 1999 11:05 AM
                                To:     midrange-l
                                Subject:        AS400 Move ?

                        Hi All,
                        I am relatively new to Midrange-l. I have been
monitoring it for
                        approximately a month, but since I am also
relatively new to the AS400 I
                        have not had much to contribute. My situation is
that we have an AS400
                        2043 Model 310 at one of our outlaying locations,
this box is going to
                        be moved to and housed at my location. We will need
remote
                        communications between these locations,
approximately 500 miles. We
                        currently have a leased line between these
locations. The need for it
                        will be eliminated once this AS400 is moved. This
leased line will
                        become the communications path between the AS400 and
a remote
                        controller. Through searching the Internet, I
believe the type of
                        controller I need is a 5494. This location supports
both twinax devices
                        and a small Ethernet LAN. There currently is a
communications line
                        defined that I think can be used for this
connection. My questions are,
                        is the 5494 my best or only choice? Is the 5494 very
complicated to
                        configure? Is there any gotya's I should be aware of
before trying this
                        move?
                        Any help or information would be greatly
appreciated.
                        Thanks in advance.
                        Scotty
                        --