• Subject: Upgrading to RAID 5
  • From: "Allen, Stuart" <sallen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:29:26 -0500

Hi,
We are due to upgrade a system from 50gb (70% util) non-raided, to 82gb with
raid 5.

Can anyone tell me how the actual upgrade will work - will the machine
re-allocate the storage over the new dasd arms & create the parity
information during IPL, or is there anything else that needs to be done?
Any ideas as to how long this will take if so?
Also, would it be better to do a reclaim storage before or after the upgrade
(or both)?

Lastly, i have heard that it would be better to mirror the load source, and
raid the rest.  Any views on this listers?

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Stuart

+---