  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: Object Compression
  • From: Tim McCarthy <TimM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:11:24 -0400

We have many customers using the ASI product. Compared to its' PC cousin
I'll grant you that performance ain't that hot but I've no idea what you
mean when you say you never got consistent results. Overall this product
works pretty well.

>Actually the PKZIP folks do a decent job...and once they get past that
>80-byte record problem with the fall release you may want to look at it
>for the 400...

Don, the 80 byte issue only occurs if you let the decompress build the
file for you.

>Do you mean there'll be an AS/400 executable version of PKZIP supported
by
>PK Ware themselves?

>Dave Kahn, ABB Steward Ltd.

David, at one stage we were talking to PKWare about porting their
product onto the 400. As a group they can't see beyond the PC/UNIX
market. When I think of squandered opportunities their name comes to
mind. Talk about name recognition! This product should have been
available on every platform a long time ago.