  • Subject: Re: IP printing and Lexmark Optra Printers
  • From: Ray Peterson <RayPeterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:39:20 -0500

hi ....

I tried to respond to this earlier, but my reply got lost.  If this is
in
fact a duplicate, please excuse!  Third try, different mail system!

Lexmark offers an option which allows printing of host-based jobs while
emulating AS/400 printers such as 3812,  4028 or 43xx.  With the simm,
you just create a printer like any other direct attached AS/400 printer,
even tho it's IP over the network using existing MarkNet card.  Slick.
And you'll get back
the ability to start and stop jobs at a page #, printer status, etc.
that
are lost with IP Daemon printing.  For detailed specifications go to:
http://www.lexmark.com/printers/simm.html

I think there's also a third party that makes a similar simm, but I
don't remember
their name.

We just purchased a couple of Optra's with the option, but I'm not sure
if
we've got them installed yet.  I'll check tommorrow to see if we've run
into
any problems.

Ray