  • Subject: Re: Stop and start Client Access from loading
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:12:21 -0600

Gary--

>It's actually pretty easy to save out the registry entrys in the
RunServices
>section.  All it would take would be one reg file to remove those entries
>and a re-boot.  And a second reg file to add them back in with a re-boot.
>I don't understand why it would cause any grief.  What potential grief
>would you be talking about?

Look in Run too, RunServices isn't the only place those nefarious CA/400
processes are loaded. Just a thought, but have you thought about using
different user profiles on this laptop? That might be a much more painless
way of having the different configs you needs.

>It's not so much that it's taking up a ton of memory or a lot of cycles.
It's
>just a waste to be in memory when they aren't being used at all.

It's _not_ a waste of memory and the processes are paged out of real memory.
The real hit to WIndows is in heap usage and CA/400's heap usage is very
low.

>Yes I am.  There is a keyboard conflict with PCAnywhere.  Without using
>CA when it's in memory and during or after using PCAnywhere the numlock
>key is stuck in the numlock position.  This being a laptop, when I try to
use
>the letters I get numbers instead.  The only work around I've found is to
>re-boot.  And CA does run on this computer just fine.  As long as I either
>don't run PCAnywhere or I don't want any letters under the numbers
>after I do run PCAnywhere.  I use PCAnywhere all the time.  And yes I do
>like to use all the letters on the keyboard.

Have you tried changing the keyboard handler in PC Anywhere? I don't use PCA
anymore, but remember needing to do this to make it work with older copies
of CA/400.

>And another consideration is that this laptop is used (although very
>seldom) as a console which is not supportd with Express.

Express provides both AS/400 console and AS/400 control panel support, but
only for V4R4+.

Good luck!

rp