  • Subject: Re: GUI development tools
  • From: Don Schenck <schencd%AM_LZCH%VASELL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:23:45 -0400
  • Autoforwarded: false
  • Disclose-recipients: prohibited
  • Hop-count: 2
  • UA-content-id: 11D1A3172D00
  • X400-MTS-identifier: [;5345231220011999/A51216/TIMONE]

::::The VB thread kind of coincides with a current interest of mine.  We're
::::looking for a GUI development tool to develop apps that have an odbc
::::connection to the 400.  We're not going to rewrite our order entry or merge
::::purge applications, but we're thinking of doing actual file access.  I've
::::heard bad things about performance in applications that do a lot of IO.
The
::::recent Access discussion didn't make me feel real secure.
::::
::::I'm interested in hearing about people's experience with GUI tools,
::::particularly performance.

I have NO problem writing an application that flies, even using ODBC to the
AS/400.

The solution is a combination of technology and technique.

The Technology: Use an N-tier (3-tier most likely) model for the application
architecture.

The Technique: By deferring file updates until absolutely necessary, and by
gives the added benefit of bundling file I/O into "transactions". In fact, this
technique ties in perfectly to an On-Line Transaction Processing framework such
as Microsoft Transaction Server on an NT box. But that's a different story...

I WISH I had the time to do into detail, but I am swamped. I can offer two
solutions to MY problem:

1. Purchase the excellent book, "Professional Visual Basic 5.0 Business
Objects" by Rockford Lhotka, Wrox Press Inc; ISBN: 186100043X,

-- OR --

"Visual Basic 6 Business Objects", same author, Wrox Press Inc; ISBN:
186100107X.

2. Continually ask me questions via email or here. IF you ask me here, you'll
need to put SOMETHING in the header to get my attention; I have a tendency to
quickly delete messages. And if you email me, make sure you mention 'Business
Objects' or something 'Midrange-L' or something that quickly separates the
message for the SPAM. I tend to have a "hair trigger" when it comes to deleting
email without reading it if the subject or sender isn't quickly recognized.

This is NOT smoke and mirrors. This is about using a sound and robust
architecture for building client/server apps. I'm putting the finishing touches
now on a HUGE client/server app, and performance -- even when doing preliminary
tests with an Access database -- has NOT been an issue. I've worked with the
AS/400 ODBC driver in the past; it's plenty fast. And the AS/400 is a screamer.

(I work with nine NT Server boxes here; every time the have to "touch" one, I
say "Now you know why people buy AS/400's!")

Peace,

-- Don Schenck
www.SchenckTech.com
dons@SchenckTech.com