  • Subject: RE: qualifying datanames
  • From: "Fisher, Don" <DRF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:13:01 -0500

In my humble opinion, field names should be unique to a file.  With 10
characters available for RPG IV, you can use a 3 or 4 character prefix for
each file and still keep the names reasonably mnemonic.  You can also use
the general names in your field reference file and still have unique field
names in your files that reference the general field descriptions in the
field reference file.  In my humble opinion, this is the appropriate use of
a field reference file.

That being said, you can use the PREFIX keyword in your file specifications
to attach a unique prefix to each field like the following spec:
 FRMSPFINANLIF   E           K DISK    PREFIX(F1)

This will work even if the addition of the prefix makes the field names
longer than 10 characters.  However, I don't know how much longer than 10
characters you can go.

Donald R. Fisher, III
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Heilig-Meyers Furniture Company