  • Subject: Re: Embedded SQL in CL
  • From: Buck Calabro/commsoft<mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 07:46:40 -0500

>Now if the shop has no other options than CL, one could build
>a "black box" to create the QRYSLT string or MAPFLD string then
>*CAT the results to pass to QCMDEXC and have dynamic execution.
>But you still wind up with a called program.

QMQRY comes with OS400, so even shops without HLL compilers
can use this "solution."  In fact, David has posted the
source for a CL command that takes an entire SQL statement
as input and runs it via QMQRY - essentially SQL in a CL
program.  Someone else posted similar code right to the list;
a generic CL command interface into QMQRY.

Having said that, it is NOT like embedding SQL
in a HLL program, where one can do a FETCH INTO, etc.
You can do any SQL statement that doesn't involve host
variables via QMQRY which includes things like INSERT INTO,
DELETE FROM, UPDATE, CREATE TABLE, DROP TABLE, etc.  But this
is a restriction in CL - CL can do Input operations via RCVF,
but it can't do output.

All in all, I think that most of us agree with James when
he says that "We've tried similar situations and have decided
that calling a "better" language then CL, that was easier to
read and understand. which would build the request was IMHO
a "cleaner" solution." - CL has its strengths, but I/O is
not one of them!

Buck Calabro
CommSoft, Albany, NY
mailto:mcalabro@commsoft.net