  • Subject: Different Program Sizes
  • From: David Thomas <dg.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 23:16:00 -0500

What am I doing wrong?  A client's application software vendor has
provided me with a program object I requested, and its RPG source.  But
when I compile the source (with CRTSQLRPG - it contains embedded SQL),
the program is significantly smaller yet with more MI instructions.  The
list below is an extract of the DSPPGM output showing the differences
between the two programs; all the remaining attributes, including the
SQL values, are the same.

 Program statistics:                         (Theirs)         (Mine)
   Number of parameters . . . . . . . . . :   0       2        0       2

   Program size (bytes) . . . . . . . . . :   9908224          6864896
   Associated space size (bytes)  . . . . :   7077856          4022240
   Static storage size (bytes)  . . . . . :   2673168          2674688
   Automatic storage size (bytes) . . . . :   0                0
   Number of MI instructions  . . . . . . :   30934            31171
   Number of ODT entries  . . . . . . . . :   24934            25072
   Compiler . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   5769RG1 V4R2M0   5769RG1
V4R2M0
   Earliest release that program can run  :   V3R7M0           V3R7M0

Is it possible that the same source could produce such different
objects?  If so, what compile options would create the differences?
This one has me stumped, so any advice I can get will be appreciated.

Dave Thomas
dg.thomas@sympatico.ca