  • Subject: Re: GUI necessary?
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:57:48 -0500

Stone, Brad V (TC) wrote:

> Roger,
>
> You're argument for GUI are ok, but you're comparing a query database
> product (excel, quicken, etc) to a fully integrated software system
> installed on a completely different type of machine, used for different
> purposes.
>
> I have polled users who we have added GUI functionality to AS/400
> applications and they all say the GUI slows them down.  There's no
> substitute to the field exit key.

I think most of you are missing the point with GUI.  It is up to the app
designer to make the GUI as fast as a green screen !!  Many GUI apps are
designed so that the mouse is required but they don't have to be.

We design all our GUI apps to be used with out requiring a mouse.  Field
exit key functionality does not have to go away ! We use GUI to provide
added features that would be more difficult to provide on a green screen
or inefficient on a large system - such as keystroke searching of lists
of possible answers.

Having said that MOST GUI apps that are coming from vendors now are
designed to LOOK easy to use for a beginner.  (You just click here point
there etc etc etc)  But very little thought has gone into making the
data entry as efficient as it could be.  This is the programmers fault
and not a result of GUI.

To judge GUI by some of the poor implementations out there is akin to
judging the AS400 by some of the 15 year old S36 programs that are still
running on it (ours included).

So look at the app for what its worth - A well designed GUI app should
incorporate the better features of a green screen app and be as fast to
use!  And a well designed green screen app should require very little
training to begin using.

well thats my $.02

John Hall
Home Sales Co.