  • Subject: security, pgm adoption
  • From: Jim Welsh <jimwelsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:32:22 -0500

Anyone using the program adoption method as mentioned in the November 98
News/400
mag for security purposes...specifically to prevent users with Operations
Navigator or other
such tools, MS Query..etc....from accessing and possibly even deleting objects
on the 400?

I'm taking the first step by setting up *PUBLIC *EXCLUDE to all objects within
our PRMS
applications...

Our V4R2 system was recently given Internet access involving NT, Winframe, Cisco
router
TCP/IP and DNS supported on the NT BCD...etc..etc..

I've been concentrating mainly on our PRMS upgrade for y2k compliance and have
been innundated with all the new stuff, including Operations Navigator,
Telnet...etc...

This is one those shops that had every user setup with *ALLOBJ authority which I
have
recently corrected.

NT and the Net access was shoved at us by our Corp Office which is all
Microsoft, Linux and
Unix Manfac system...
The corp office director appears unconcerned about security, hackers...etc...

As the article states, AS/400 application menu security is a thing of the
past...time to tighten
things up!

Our company CFO also appears unconcerned about all this.

Well, I know I need to lock down Ops Nav pronto...and Windows Explorer for that
matter.

The application owner for PRMS is a profile called APC..all the users are
grouped under APC...
APC owns all the objects...I am able to delete PRMS objects simply by pointing
and clicking...
as are a couple of our users who have Ops Nav installed. Havent tried this with
Explorer yet but I imagine same problem.

The manager I work for is concerned and has given me the go ahead to lock things
down...she's been busy for months now putting out fires everyday with PC's and
Winframe problems....REBOOT...REBOOT...REBOOT...

Is it just me, or has the whole world gone mad ? ;>

Appreciate any tips for security...I know enough about the 400 to implement
it...once I have
a good plan....just dont ask me to write an exit program in C...don't have a
compliler for one, too much like work for two, and they damn sure don't pay me
enough for three! hahaha

Anyone have a copy of RPG, DDS and CL QUSRTOOL source from the legacy erra feel
free to forward to me....the version we have is about useless without something
to compile the code with...

--
Jim
http://www.netcom.com/~jimwelsh/welcome/welcome.html