  • Subject: IBM reply to Soundoff SRC/Ops manual concern...
  • From: Don <dr2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:53:59 -0400 (EDT)

Folks,

I just got this from Jerry Barry at IBM and thought would pass it along as
I think there were several others needing this info...

Don in DC

------------------------

Don,

I got some more information related to your questions at COMMON Sound-off.
First, there are now two books related to system operation, one of which is
provided printed with all systems and one that is provided on the CD-ROM only.
The two books are:

Basic System Operation, Administration, and Problem Handling, SC41-5206 -
Provided in printed form and on the CD-ROM; this is the book I was referring to
in my answer to you at COMMON and in the first note.

System Operation , SC41-4203 - Provide on the CD-ROM, can be ordered in print
form.

The Basic System Operation, Administration, and Problem Handling book contains
PTF information, including descriptions of what PTF"s are, why you need them,
and information on ordering PTF's.  The number are provided for PTF Cross
reference summaries and for the Cumulative Packages.  The instructions for
ordering a cumulative
PTF are described on page 170 (of the V4R3 book; probably different in a V4R2
book).

The book also contains SRC  information.  The SRC information 'groups' the SRCs
in many cases.  For example,

  SRC 63xx xxxx  The tape unit failed.

    See "Procedure 6-Recovering from Tape or
Optical Device Problem" on page 106.

So, there is no list of every SRC, but those that you can react to and the
recovery path are described.

Please take a look at the Basic System Operation, Administration, and Problem
Handling book; if it doesn't address your concerns, let me know!

Thanks!

Regards,  Jerry Barry
User Technologies T/CEM

"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion it has been accomplished"
-- George Bernard Shaw