  • Subject: Re: Data Queue's
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:08:39 -0700

OS/400 does not write to a data queue when print files appear AFAIK.  This is an
issue within the utility that you have inherited.

You will need to look at the details of the utility.  I suspect that one of two
things are happening: 1) Your assumption that "RDY" status is necessary for this
utility to recognize a new spool file is an issue or 2) What ever method the
utility uses to query the printer queue contents does not include spool entries
that are not "RDY" status and a better query method may be available.

Having said that, I don't believe that a spool member can be moved while it's
under creation so if you can use an API to detect spool entries in creation you
would need to have a time loop test for "RDY".  Since you are faced with this
type
of test, which from what you stated the utility already does, could you change
your inherited utility to test more often and pick up the untimely dropped
entries?

Just a shot in the dark.  let's face it ... you're talking a home grown utility,
not an OS function.
And if we all raised our hands when asked (be honest), some home grown utilities
work great 95% of the time and for triple the cost you can gain an extra 5% <g>.

James W. Kilgore
qappdsn@ibm.net

P.S. Somewhere I picked up a statistic that a specific purpose program may take
hours to write and an equivalent general purpose program will take 7X hours to
write.  This utility may fall into the specific purpose (circumstance) category.

RDJessen@aol.com wrote:

> I need some information on when data gets written to a data queue when a spool
> file is created.  I am supporting a utility (written by a former employee of
> course) that reads a data queue to find newly created spool files.

<<snip>>