  • Subject: Re: "Service Aids Authority" ???
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:17:12 -0500

The problem is that you could grant a user 'Service aid authority' by doing a
CHGUSRPRF and giving them the special authority *SERVICE and they could still
not run STRSST because they do not have authority to the command STRSST.  The
problem is that IBM chose to use command authority to limit stuff.  Why did
they not check the user profile who executed the STRSST command to see if they
have *SERVICE authority?  Did they do this because it would be easier for us to
mess with who can run what commands?  Is this IBM's recommendation - just do a
GRTOBJAUT on the commands?

Why do some programmers insist on *ALLOBJ?
If someone's spool files go into a secured output queue then even someone with
*SPLCTL cannot look at them.  A secured output queue is one with the 'Operator
Controlled' set to *NO and QSPL set to *CHANGE and *PUBLIC set to *EXCLUDE.
They cannot look at the joblog of any active job running under someone else
with *ALLOBJ authority.  For example.  We set up a user profile call MASTER
with *ALLOBJ and the rest of the authorities except *SECADM.  This profile runs
certain never ending jobs.  You cannot look at the joblog of any active jobs
running under this user profile unless you have *ALLOBJ authority yourself.
*JOBCTL authority won't cut it for you.  This is something IBM changed a few
releases back.
Sometimes you'll have two group profiles on your system.  Perhaps one for
manufacturing and one for payroll.  If someone is designing an interface
between the two, labor hours reporting for example, they'll object to the hoops
they'll have to jump through for testing and implementation.
My sarcasm dealing with a pet peeve.  Programmers don't care about how
something will work for the users.  If it works for them then shouldn't it work
for the users?  We had an accounting system that we implemented that we had
'tested throughly'.  However when the users started using it and they did not
have *ALLOBJ it blew all to hell.  For example lazy programmer A didn't want to
use his manufacturing user profile so now all the stuff he created for
manufacturing is owned by the payroll group profile.  It works for him, he has
*ALLOBJ.  Project is complete and he saved 30 seconds by not having to sign off
and on again.  Or open up a new session.

mshaw@ncal.verio.com on 08/24/98 03:41:32 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet