  • Subject: Midrange List Guidelines
  • From: MajorDomo <majordom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 02:00:05 -0500

Monthly posting of the guidelines for participation in the Midrange
Systems Mailing List.

Keep to the subject.  The topic of the list is Midrange Systems. I think
we can generally agree that the S/34, S/36, S/38, & AS/400 are IBM's
Midrange Computer Family.  Discussion of PC topics as they relate to
Midrange Systems (ie. Emulation, connectivity, PC Support, etc) is fine.
The same applies to Mainframe discussion.

When quoting messages, do not quote the entire message.  Just quote the
parts that are needed to make the appropriate references.

Flames are absolutely prohibited.  If you disagree with someone, feel
free to argue the facts, but no personal attacks will be tolerated.

The official language of the Midrange Systems Mailing List is English.

Do not post personal messages.  Please use direct E-Mail.  This list is
international in scope and personal messages just end up costing money.

Digest mode IS available... send email to DIGEST-INFO@midrange.com for
information on how to switch to digest mode.

The maximum message size is approximately 10k... any messages larger than
that will be held for approval.

Vendors: You are allowed to post messages announcing items of global
appeal (remember, this group is read world-wide).  Advertising products,
repeated postings, etc, are strictly prohibited.  Also, if you have a
solution that will specificly help another participant, feel free to
tell that person.  And finally, if you are a vendor, please identify
yourself as such... do not try to pass yourself off as a user of your
own products (even if you are).

Regarding employment related discussion: If someone wants to discuss
employment related issues IN THE MIDRANGE COMMUNITY... it's fine... AS
LONG AS THE MESSAGE DOES NOT CONTAIN SPECIFICS ABOUT A COMPANY, JOB, or
CONTRACT.  For instance: Posting a question such as "We're about to hire
a bunch of new college graduates for our AS/400 shop, what's the best
training program available?" is fine...  but saying "We're looking to hire
some entrylevel programmers for xyz corporation who need to know how to
program acme widget controllers...  how do we test them" is not.  MIDRANGE
dot COM also hosts a MIDRANGE-JOBS list for employment discussion.  To
subscribe to that list: send email to MIDRANGE-JOBS@midrange.com.

Republication of this mailing list, for anything other than personal use,
without the explicit permission of the list owner is a violation of U.S.
Copyright Law and will be dealt with as such.

Violation of the above guidelines will be determined by the moderator
and will result either a) The offending party will be forced to make
major modifications to a 10 year old, matching records, RPG II program
that uses every available indicator or b) permanent disconnection from
the conference (you decide which is worse).

If you have questions or comments about these guidelines, please feel
free to contact the moderator, David Gibbs via internet e-mail at
david@midrange.com.

MIDRANGE dot COM is a non-commercial organization and is not connected with
any corporation, periodical, or commercial enterprise.  For more information,
send Internet E-Mail to info@midrange.com.

MIDRANGE dot COM and midrange.com, the owners and operators of this list,
are in no way associated with International Business Machines (IBM),
"Midrange Computing" magazine, or "Midrange Systems" magazine. The
opinions expressed here are strictly those of their authors, and in no way
reflect the opinions or statements of direction of the aforementioned
companies.