  • Subject: RE: Net Computer access to internet from 400
  • From: Carl Gerlach <cgerlach@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:35:56 -0500

Yes, they are.
I found Document Number: 9190716 in the knowledge base that referred to the
issue I wrote of. However, the items it suggests have already been checked.
As follows:

Document Title: Network Station Cannot Access Web Sites Beyond a Router
Document Description:
The user has a local area network connected to the Internet through a network
router or gateway. The
AS/400 system can PING Internet locations by name, but the Network Station
cannot access them.

Resolution:

There are some tests to perform and configuration items to check:
Verify that the Network Station can PING the address of the network router. Use
Alt+Shift+Home to bring up the IBM Network Station User Services Console.
Select Utilities, and select Test Network from the pull-down menu. Type in the
IP address of the router at the HOST: prompt, and click on Apply.

If the PING is successful, you should receive a positive message. If you
receive a message that the address is not responding, this indicates a failure.
You may wish to increase the number of packets (default is 1) to allow it to
retry multiple times.

If you can PING the router successfully, try PINGing an Internet address that
is beyond the router. If this fails, it indicates that your packets are not
being forwarded by the router.

First, check to see that the 'gateway address' is configured in the IBM Network
Station Setup Utility. You can do this by logging out on the Network Station,
then powering it back up. Watch the initial messages - when you see the message
'NS0500 - Search for host system...', press the Esc key. This brings up the
utility menu. Select F2 to view network parameters.

Verify that the gateway address field contains the IP address for the first
router that Network Station goes through to get to the Internet.

If this is an Ethernet installation, there is an additional parameter to check.
Verify that the Ethernet Standard field is set to the correct option for your
network. The default is 802.3. You may need to set this to version 2 (for
Ethernet Version II) if your router is configured to support only Ethernet
Version II.

Ensure that the network address and subnet information are correct.

Carl Gerlach
Apex Information Systems, Inc.
www.apex-isg.com