  • Subject: RE: Creating a new ASP
  • From: "Goins, Kirk : CO IR" <KGoins@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:30:00 -0700

1. ASP disk space is done by diskarm, So consider how much space you
need and why, then decide how many of what size disks to use for the
ASP. Of course if there a;l the same, you don't have those choices.

2. If you are using RAID or Mirroring consider how the RAID SET(s) are
built or If Mirroring, who is mirrored to who. The reason being "IF" you
had a dual failure that caused RAID or Mirroring to fail to the point
that data was not recoverable will you loose 1. just a user asp? 2. just
system asp? or 3. BOTH. Before my time here one of the systems had a
failure in a raid set that caused ALL DATA in the set to be lost. That
set had disks from ALL 3 ASPs, the SYSTEM, and ASPs 2 and 3. In other
words we lost the entire system.

3. LEAVE PLENTY OF SPACE in the System ASP. running out of space in a
user ASP isn't near as bad as doing that in the System ASP.

4. Creating the new ASP(s) is done from DST and is pretty straight
forward. If you are just  adding dasd  just specify to add it to ASP2
and your done.  If  you are doing more then it can get a little more
complicated.

5. MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO...FULL SYSTEM BACKUP BEFORE YOU START
incase things do go well.

 ----------
From: PhaniHR@Inf.COM

Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading of our AS/400 (Hard disks).  We would
like
change the existing ASP configuration. Currently  we have only one
system ASP. We would
like to create one more. Does anyone have any experience on this related
to what are
the things I should take care before configuring new ASP and what are
the common problems
that one may encountered.

Best regards,
Phani