  • Subject: Re: How does a %SWITCH work in a CL program
  • From: cmassoglia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles L. Massoglia)
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:46:16 -0400

>I guess we should let the geezers explain this one.
>
>At 11:40 AM 5/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Howdy folks,
>>
>>I am trying to debug a JDE CL program. In the CL a call is made to
>>a RPG program.
>>  CALL P98315 PARM(&PSPID &PSVERS &PSFILE &PSMBR &PSMSGQ)
>>   IF COND(%SWITCH(1XXXXXXX)) THEN (DO)
>>    GOTO EOJ
>>   ENDDO

Somewhere in the program indicator U1 is turned on.  In the %SWITCH, the
'1' means test U1 and the 'XXXXXXX' ignore U2-U8.  When using %SWITCH, '1'
means on, '0' means off, and 'X' means ignore.  Positions 1-8 of the %SWITCH
argument represent indicators U1-U8.

This is NOT the way most people would communicate to and from a CL and RPG
program.  This technique was used on the System/3, System/34, and System/36.
On the AS/400, it is much more self documenting to use a parameter and pass
a value which means something, e.g. IF COND(&STATUS *EQ 'EOJ) THEN GOTO EOJ.

>>I have never worked with %SWITCH so I am not sure how to debug this.
>>Anyways, after the call to the RPG is made and control returns to
>>the CL, the IF condition is true and the CL program terminates.
>>What do I look for in the RPG that would change the %SWITCH status?
>>How does the RPG communicate the changed status back to the CL?
>>
>>Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>

>>Ravi Viswanthan
>>Systems Group, Inc
>>+---
>>| This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
>>| To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
>>+---
>>
>Carl J. Galgano
>http://cgalgano.home.mindspring.com
>mailto:cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
>EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
>540 Powder Springs Street
>Suite C19
>Marietta, GA 30064
>770-422-2995
>+---
>| To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
>+---

Charlie Massoglia, Massoglia Technical Consulting, Inc.
PO Box 1065, Okemos, MI 48854, USA
517-676-9700  Fax: 517-676-1006  EMAIL: cmassoglia@voyager.net