  • Subject: RE: "Filibuster or just blustering" with questionnaire attac
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:53:10 -0500

Jon makes a good point.  I will admit that it seems that media coverage has
improved.  Media in the sense of trade publications and misc. professional
magazines.  It has been refreshing to see some coverage within magazines
like Manufacturing Solutions, Automatic ID News, Managing Automation, and
Material Handling.  I'm still disappointed in the lack of coverage by
magazines such as ComputerWorld, InfoWorld, Datamation and the likes.  My
other concern is to see that this still continues and improves.

 We have a project for Warehouse Management (hence my letter last week).
We have a VP of IT that is convinced that 'NT is the future' and
specifically went looking for an NT based warehouse solution.......when
there are literally hundreds of AS/400 solutions available....Short of
paying my neighbor Billy Ray to use his big Chevy Truck to eliminate this
kind of thinking I don't know what else to do.  One of the magazines he
reads regularly is ComputerWorld....

We have been able to convince opening the doors to AS/400 based vendors and
I hope we are not too much behind in this game.

Anyway, Jon does make a good point and I still agree with Al.  It has
improved but I think it needs to continue to grow.  One thing I'm sure of
is not all of us will be completely satisfied with what IBM does or agree
amongst ourselves how it should be done (ok it's two things).

Thought you folks might be interested in this given the content of this
thread.  One point that Jarosh made at Soundoff was that advertising is
only
part of the game (and not a big part at that if the other factors are not
in
play).  Media coverage is far more important, and he demonstrated at
Soundoff
that the level of coverage has increased fourfold in recent months.  Since
just received a soft-copy of some of those articles, I thought I'd pass
them
along.

This is the mind share stuff that really matters.