  • Subject: Re: TCP/IP Printing, # of Copies
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 17:26:02 EDT

Marc, David, and Vernon,

>  >We're sending spool files to an HP laser printer using
>  >TCP/IP but the number of copies on the spool files is
>  >ignored.  Has anyone else had this situation?
>  >
>  >The output queue is set up with a Manufacturer Type and
>  >Model of *HP5.  The spool files print fine except that they
>  >print only once.  Host print transform is set to *YES.
>  >
>  >Any ideas?  We're at V4R1.
>
>  We're suffering here from the nature of TCP/IP printing. The application
>  used is call lpd/lpr and does not read spooled file attributes—spooled
>  files are not part of TCP/IP, only AS/400.
>
>  There are some HP extensions, I think, that IBM is adding to its
>  implementation of lpr. I don't know the details right now—someone else on
>  the list certainly can dredge up the info from the recesses.
>
>  The same issue of TCP/IP function comes up with PAGERANGE and many of our
>  other goodies. Also, we run into limitations with TELNET when running
>  PC5250 over TCP/IP. IBM seems to be addressing all these things, adding 400
>  function to these IP apps. Meanwhile, we lose some function to gain
>  universal use. Sigh!

It is my understanding that the only way to cirmcumvent the PAGERANGE and
COPIES function loss inherent with LPD/LPR (after all, an inherently
_SUPERIOR_ machine wouldn't actually _POLL_ a device to see what it's
capabilities were and adjust its data stream accordingly, now _WOULD_ it ;-)?)
is to create a "dummy" OUTQ and point it at the TCP/IP remote writer in
question.  Send output to the queue rather than the writer, and PAGERANGE and
COPIES should work again.

Be forewarned -- this method, while sound, utilizes even more system resources
than "Host Print Transform" from what I've heard.  Be sure and have your
spooling subsystem split out into a different memory pool with a high enough
activity level if you're going to use it.  Hey!  What am I _SAYING_????!!!!
That little miracle called QPFRADJ can do this _FOR_ you, can't it?  Everyone
_SAYS_ you don't _NEED_ to understand Work Management anymore ;-)!

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." -- Steven
Wright