  • Subject: 3570 Tape Library -Reply
  • From: John Cirocco <JCirocco@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:05:47 -0400

Pete,

>>Can anyone please help with some concepts and/or general
>>procedures for using a 3570 B02 tape library at V4R2 (no BRMS)? We
>>screwed around with it for about 3 hours today, trying to figure out
>>how to do a SAVSYS without success. It really can't be this difficult.
>>The documentation isn't much help. What's the deal with tape
>>categories?

When you work with device descriptions you should see to for your
3570.  One is a Media Library Device, the other represents a stand alone
drive.  We use ours in Random mode (which is what it sounds like you
are doing).  A tape must be in a valid Catagory to use.  We use ADSM on
our /400 along with normal save restore operations so I have 2 basic
catagories that I use.  To do a save (SAVSYS, SAVLIB, SAVOBJ, etc...)
you cannot use *mounted for a volid but instead use a valid volume id
that has been assigned to the tape with the ADDTAPCTG command.
Check out the help for commands ADDTAPCTG, CHGTAPCTG, and
RMVTAPCTG.  Will be better at explaining it than me.

The steps I use are as follows when I change the tapes in the drive:
1) WRKMLBSTS
2) Use option 9 to display cartridges in the drive
3) from the Work w/  Tape cartidges screen, I use option 1 to add any
tapes that are in the *INSERT catagory to one of my usable ones.

4) now you can do your initialization, saves, displays, etc.

Couple of notes-  The TapDevice must be varied off to work in random,
You need to allocate the tape drive RESOURCE name to the library after
any IPLs, and finally, buy the bar code reader.  Greatly speeds up the
reading of the tapes when doing a work with tape cartridge command.

Sorry for being soo long winded.

Regards,
John W. Cirocco
Computer Task Group, Inc.