Using X.25 on Advanced 36 model 9402-236

  • Subject: Using X.25 on Advanced 36 model 9402-236
  • From: Don Kuenz <kuenzdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 08:29:21 -0700 (MST)

fixed

Hi guys,

I need to connect either a 5250 terminal or a 5250 terminal emulator in my
office to a client's Advanced 36 model 9402-236 using a switched line.

My IBM rep says that dial in connectivity is missing from the 9402-236.
She suggested that my client upgrade to a 9402-426.

Until my client upgrades (they say they'll be ready in about 10 years),
it may be worthwhile to explore alternative solutions. The 9402-236 looks
like it can handle a synchronous, switched line modem. A telcom friend of
mine says that it's possible to connect a commonly available Micomm PAD to
a terminal/PC in my office. The Micomm PAD converts a serial port to X.25
protocol, which is then fed into a synchronous modem in my office. A
switched connection exists between the two synchronous modems.

It appears that you can configure a 9402-236 to accept an X.25 connection.
Does anyone know if what I propose is feasable? (i.e. plugging a terminal/PC
into a Micomm PADD and initiating an X.25 session with a 9402-236.) Thanks.

-Don Kuenz
+---