  • Subject: Re: How to get a compressed print from an HP Printer
  • From: pault@xxxxxxxxx (Paul Tykodi)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:47:44 -0500

Damian Esealuka wrote to midrange-l:

I have an Hp laser jet printer 5 directly attached to 400 thru a twinax.  The
HP laser printer is emulating 5219 model.
How can I make it print in condensed form without sending escape printer
codes. I understand that there is a way thru creating printer files. I  have
tried several options and yet the print out still comes out large.
I have also tried changing the printer defintions thru  chgdevprt  command.
Dear Damian,

Here is some information about a feature you might want to try activating on
your system (Computer Output Reduction - COR). Properly enabling the feature
may require you to configure the twinax printer interface attached to your HP
LaserJet printer.

When IBM Midrange computers were initially produced, letter quality printing
was supported with a daisy wheel printer. The printer, known as an IBM 5219,
could handle both green bar continuous forms paper being fed up through the
bottom of the printer or letter and legal size paper stored in cut sheet feed
trays.

When IBM prepared to begin shipping their first laser printer for the Midrange
environment (3812 model 1), they were faced with the need to support
applications that printed on paper that was too large to be fed into a laser
printer (green/grey bar paper). Their answer was to create a laser printer
function called Computer Output Reduction (COR). The feature worked much like
the reduction feature of a copier in that it reduced an incoming report to 70%
of full size. The form size received from the host had to be larger than LEGAL
paper in order for the COR function to be invoked.

All of IBM's direct twinax attach matrix printer products have a defined
carriage width of 13.2 inches. Since this value is less than the 14 inch length
of LEGAL paper rotated into landscape orientation, the COR feature is usually
triggered by the page length being greater than 8.5 inches (more than 51 lines
at 6 LPI or 68 lines at 8 LPI). The COR font and LPI substitutions are as
follows:

Host Application Requests 10 CPI        -       Printer Uses 13.3 CPI
Host Application Requests 12 CPI        -       Printer Uses 15 CPI
Host Application Requests 15 CPI        -       Printer Uses 20 CPI
Host Application Requests 17 CPI        -       Printer Uses 27 CPI

Host Application Requests 6 LPI         -       Printer Uses 8.6   LPI
Host Application Requests 8 LPI         -       Printer Uses 11.1 LPI

Top Margin                              -       Set to 1/2 inch
Left Margin                             -       Set to 1/2 inch

The COR function is only used with fixed pitch fonts (i.e. all characters
receive the same amount of space). It is not a good idea to map reports
constructed with fixed pitch fonts to a proportional font. If this procedure is
implemented; bolding, justification, and tabs may not appear as expected.

HTH

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606