  • Subject: Re: How many running what releases (was: sys/36 to as/400)
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:34:26 EST

Neil,

<<snip>>
> I know how IBM must feel - not matter what you do you can't please everyone.
>  I mean there are those (myself included) who DID install V4R1 before Feb
>  27th and are very pleased about this announcement, BUT I think
>  eventually IBM is going to have to give in on this and waive the V4R2
>  LPP upgrade charges for everyone.
>

>  Anyway, that's my opinion - of course I could be wrong.     :-)

Hey, it happens ;-)!  However, I agree with both your and an earlier post that
it appears that IBM is _intentionally_ trying to hack off customers -- both
new and existing.  I know they're not, but that's the way it comes across.  In
business, perception is 9/10's of the law.  All of us "bitched and raised
hell" when the previously free and quite effective support line became the
"charged for and not worth a plug nickle" support line.  IBM eventually
rectified the support line competency situation, but not without a great deal
of "wailing and knashing of teeth" on the part of customers.  Then we raised
cane about the upgrade fees for OS/400 -- fell on deaf ears, and now we have
to pay _AGAIN_??!!

CHGSYSVAL RANT(*ON)
I'm sorry, but after _YEARS_ of convincing former /36 and /38 accounts to
regularly upgrade OS versions and apply PTF's (these didn't work particularly
well on the aforementioned platforms, if you recall), this has been a slap in
the face (_especially_ in light of the V3R1 fiasco).  These small accounts
don't _CARE_ that the OS/400 development group has been split out into an IBM
"cost center" since they purchased their machines -- all they know is that
"our good buddy Dean has been keeping us up-to-date for a nominal fee until
now".

Their once-simple questions of "why should we upgrade when the system is
working fine?" were easily answered with "because you get new functionality
that I can use to improve _my_ delivery of service, and besides it's free" are
now not so easily answered.  TCP/IP support is _GREAT_, but if you don't need
it, you don't friggin' _need_ it.  Same for ILE/RPG.

Now my only response can be "because IBM is about to drop support and dog the
tee-waddin' out of you if you _don't_ upgrade"?  What the heck kind of
strategy is _this_?  Small CISC users now have the "deer in the headlights"
attitude -- "Why upgrade to V3R2?  Our systems work fine as is, we _cannot_
afford a RISC upgrade, and once we go to V3R2 we're stuck with a version that
will _NEVER_ be enhanced".  Y2K arguments don't go far when they see V3R7
users getting charged again for software that they already purchased, but
consideration of other platforms _DOES_.
CHGSYSVAL RANT(*OFF)

Thanks, I feel better now...

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody." -- Bill Cosby