  • Subject: Rant/Rave was(Re: Does anyone have.......)
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 23:36:50 -0800

Brian k Stapleton wrote:

> Good Morning All;
>
> Does anyone have a routine that will center the text of a field that they
> would like to share?

I've got one, only question: do you want an odd length input into an even length
output to the left or right of center?

The input must be entered into a 256 byte variable and any leading blanks are
stripped away.  The output comes back into a 256 byte variable centered within
the length you specify.  The CALL has three parameters: InputString(256),
ReturnString(256), CenterLength(3,0).  You must MOVEL the ReturnString to the
variable you want for CenteredVariable.  PseudoCode variable names in this post.
Works as a callable under V2R3 and beyond.

BTW, how many of you folks out there are still providing support for V2R3 and at
how many locations?  I went so far as to change the CRTxxx defaults to V2R3 to
enforce compatibility with a separate "upgrade/expanded feature" library at V3R2
and a "super upgrade/expanded feature" library at ILE/RPG V3R7 and.....it's
getting to be too much.

soapbox(*on)....tread not where angels fear....

It wasn't that long ago that I told "them" that the then current (V3R0M5) AS/400
was the greatest thing since sliced bread and now after the headache of
V3R1,V3R2, CISC to RISC, when "they" want the latest from what they read in the
trade papers I have to tell them that they've been left behind like the
unclaimed
bastard child.  I'm getting the "divide and conquer" feeling here.  IMHO the
upgrade paths should be a "keep you in the fold"  mentality by Mama Blue instead
of "How much are you willing to pay to not eat dust?".  There's no business like
repeat business!

Whoa...got to cut back on that caffiene/nicotine/refined white sugar!  (the 3
major food groups) Like Brad Pitt said in 12 Monkeys: "Know your drugs, know
your
dosage, it's elementary." ;-)

All kidding aside, there is a Darwinistic side of me that says: "The world is
full of people that want but can't pay...let them eat dust...let's cull the
herd!
No pay, no play!"  But professionally, supporting the adaptation requirements
has
produced a steady flow of growing/evolving repeat customers that I've grown
attached to and can't just kick to the curb.  And talk about loyalty...bragging
about how well they've been supported, the referrals that resulted ... it cost
less to "give away" the upgrade than it cost to lose them and hunt down and sign
up a replacement.

The only human I've kicked to the curb was a former (did I stress former?)
partner who only looked at short term numbers instead of business.  OK, I give
something away to a loyal customer since 1976, but not enough to lose any "real"
money, and they brag around town and I get calls like: "If you can make that old
S.O.B. happy, that's good enough for me, sign me up."  Give a little, get a lot.

OK, OK, I'm dropping into the sugar lows now. I've changed the subject of the
post to protect the innocent...It's getting late and the east side of my brain
has dipped into the bliss of sleep......;-)

soabox(*off) ReaderRelief(*AboutTime)

Thanks for hearing me out, don't bust my bubble at how fast you are at the
delete
key or that you've written that JAVA mail filter, this sure beats paying a
therapist or going postal on a MacDonalds!

P.S. David: The checks in the mail!
P.P.S. Sorry Brian, you caught me during a hormonal storm.  It's that damn
waining moon!