From: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
[mailto:owner-midrange-l@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Terry Herrin
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 1998 2:57 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: NO queries in QGPL please!!

Walden Leverich wrote:
>While I agree that this does not stop users from putting queries in the
QGPL
>library, I think the delete approach is too harsh. I'm one that believes
>that the system belongs to the users. We (IT, IS, MIS, DP, whatever) are
>just here to act as enablers for the users.

I agree.  However, as managers of the system we have the right to
impose certain reasonable rules that the users should be required to
follow.  Asking that queries not be placed in QGPL is not an
unreasonable request, in my opinion.

>I don't know why the original request was made to not store queries in the
>QGPL library, but I would guess that there was a desire to keep the library
>"pure" to avoid any possible upgrade problems. ( Yes, I know there
shouldn't
>be any, but if I don't use the lib I know there will be no problems.) By
>moving the queries into the correct library I allow the users to keep their
>hard work and still accomplish my goal. Besides, after a couple of weeks of
>saving to QGPL and having to remember that the query was then moved to
>library xxx the users will simply start using library xxx.

If the end goal is to keep QGPL base IBM only, then moving the queries
would definitely accomplish that goal.  I wouldn't count on the users
to stop saving to QGPL though, especially since they know it doesn't
matter if they do so.  One compromise here would be to move the
queries to a library the users cannot access.  A "deleted" query would
not be lost, but the users would have to call and ask that their query
be restored to their work library.  By requiring the user to call and
ask, it would discourage them from using QGPL.  It would also give the
manager the opportunity to remind the user that what he/she did was
wrong.  The work isn't lost, but having to call and ask to get it back
is a pain compared to just not saving to QGPL, especially if you get a
verbal slap on the wrist when you do so.  And as someone else here has
already suggested, a consultant I believe <g>, a nominal charge could
be levied for each "restore".  <grin>

Terry
therrin@isaac.net
david@midrange.com